JCCF accepting 2017 grant applications

     The Jones County Community Foundation (JCCF) annually determines and awards grants for the betterment of Jones County and its residents. JCCF started accepting grant applications on Sept. 1. The applications and guidelines are available online at www.dbqfoundation.org/JCCF. Applications are due Oct. 15, 2017.

     Non-profit organizations can apply for grants from the JCCF for projects or programs that improve economic well-being and quality of life, improve educational opportunities, address community capital improvements, maintain and improve the health of Jones County residents, promote tourism and recreation, maintain Jones County heritage, and/or support conservation efforts.

     Applying organizations must provide services in Jones County. Each entity is allowed to request funding only once per calendar year and cannot receive funding in consecutive years. Eligible applicants must be 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations or governmental bodies. Other non-profits with charitable projects may also qualify but must partner with a qualified non-profit or government body who will serve as a fiscal sponsor.

     Last year, the JCCF awarded grants totaling more than $85,000 to the following non-profits:

     • Friends of Jones County Conservation and Nature Center, $25,000

     • Grant Wood Mississippi River Region Inc., $20,000

     • Advancement Services of Jones County, $8,500

     • Jones Regional Medical Center Foundation, $5,000

     • Camp Courageous, $5,000

     • Wyoming Historical Museum Commission, $5,000

     • Starlighters Theatre, $5,000

     • City of Wyoming Public Library, $3,534

     • Cedar/Jones Early Childhood Iowa, $2,883

     • Excel Monticello, $2,000

     • Jones County Tourism Association, $2,000

     • Anamosa Community School District, $1,900

     Iowa’s County Endowment Fund Program supported these grants. This initiative, unique to Iowa, makes grants to create a strong community foundation infrastructure in 84 counties like Jones that do not hold state-issued gaming licenses. The JCCF grants out 75 percent of these funds and invests the remaining 25 percent in a permanent endowment that generates interest to be distributed in future years.

     Community foundations are charitable organizations that administer funds to benefit their communities and improve the lives of people in their geographic region. Non-profit organizations and community members can create endowment funds at JCCF to benefit charitable causes. These funds are invested and pay out 5 percent annually to the designated non-profits, providing a reliable source of income to sustain organizations’ operations forever.

     Gifts to endowment funds at the Community Foundation may be eligible for the Endow Iowa 25 Percent State Tax Credit. Community members can contribute to more than 200 endowment funds established by non-profits throughout Northeast Iowa, which provide sustainable sources of income for these essential community service organizations.

     For more information, visit www.dbqfoundation.org/JCCF, contact Sherri Hunt at jccf@dqbfoundation.org, or call 319-551-3402.

     JCCF is an affiliate of the Community Foundation of Greater Dubuque.


Subscriber Login